Cell Separation Technology Landscape: Significant Contribution towards Stem Cell and Cancer Research to Drive Adoption
The unique ability of stem cells to regenerate has resulted in their growing use in the regeneration of tissues and organs over the past two decades, albeit with wavering degrees of success. As healthcare and clinical research, in wake of the expanding biotechnology industry, continue to embrace stem cell research to improve therapeutics for chronic illnesses, cell separation and sorting techniques that aid in improving research results are gaining major impetus. Cell separation technologies are experiencing tremendous growth on account of the growing mortality and morbidity rate of chronic diseases, which has led to the rising demand for cell therapies for effectively treating such diseases.
View Report: https://www.transparencymarketresearch.com/cell-separation-technologies.html
Technological developments have resulted in the expansion of the application areas of existing cell separation techniques. This is further supported by the increasing patient pool across the globe. Transparency Market Research (TMR) recently published an extensive study on the cell separation technology market, with a positive perspective of the industry, owing to the aforementioned factors. The study unveils the key elements driving industry growth, while elaborating the developments witnessed across the cell separation technology market.
Evolution of the Cell Separation Technology Market
Although the discovery of stem cells goes back over three decades, cell separation technology has, until recently, been restricted to large institutional core facilities. Earlier, cell sorting was considered a complex and expensive technique that required superior training. There have been significant transformations with the advent of versatile, personalized, and user-friendly benchtop cell separators. Currently, stem cell researchers are able to start taking advantage of the capabilities of benchtop cell separators and sorters, resulting in improved results.
The cell separation technology market is likely to generate a revenue of ~ US$ 5.5 Bn in 2019, and is anticipated to expand at a CAGR of ~ 12% during the period of forecast. Advancements in technology that has led to continuous innovations is a key factor driving single cell identification and analysis. The growing popularity of single use cell separation techniques and innovation, including microraft, and the use of picodroplet technology is a major trend that is expected to influence the cell separation technology market through the period of assessment.
Cell Separation Technology Market: Impact of Undercurrents
Microfluidics Method & Microraft Arrays Gain Major Acceptance
Microraft arrays are considered to be an innovative micro printed approach for the process of cell separation, while utilizing a small group of cells. Available in micrometer sizes with attachments made of magnetic, polystyrene, and biologic, which are efficient in holding cells securely, microraft arrays are gaining major applicability. Similar popularity is gained by the microfluidics technique. Innovative microfluidic devices that detect floating cancer cells in a tiny blood sample are also being developed.
Request a Brochure of Cell Separation Technology Market Report @ https://www.transparencymarketresearch.com/sample/sample.php?flag=B&rep_id=1925
Increasing Cell and Gene Therapy Requirements
With the constant progress in clinical research, cell and gene therapies that are designed to halt a disease or reverse its progress are gaining significant acceptance. The world has witnessed a coming wave of experimental cell and gene therapies. For instance, by 2020, the FDA expects to witness a large number of applications to begin cell and gene therapy trials. As cell separation technology remains an integral part of cell and gene therapy, this trend is expected to fuel the growth of the cell separation technology market.
Cell separation techniques include the costs of disposables, reagents, time, and services, which can be expensive for hospitals and diagnostic centers. Moreover, cell separation technology incorporation requires expert supervision, hindering its widespread adoption.
Cell Separation Technology Market: Key Strategies Incorporated by Competitors
Offer Innovative Technology to Boost Applications in Cancer Research
The increasing prevalence of cancer across the globe has bolstered the need for effective developments in cancer research. As scientists dig deeper into cancer research, technological advancements to support cancer therapeutics are gaining impetus. As cell separation technology supports cancer research on a large scale, cell separation technology market competitors aim to offer innovative technology to boost applications in cancer research.
Expand FACS Technology Portfolio
The increasing acceptance of Fluorescence-activated Cell Sorting (FACS) technology across numerous applications has garnered competitors’ attention. The development of novel FACS protocols, such as the one developed by the Icahn School of Medicine team, which enables the isolation of neural progenitors, neurons, and astrocytes from virus?infected cerebral organoids, for downstream multi-omics evaluation, are greatly witnessed. Such developments are showcasing the potential of FACS technology, further triggering competitors to expand this technology portfolio.
Commercialize Advanced Technology-based Products
Commercializing products based on advanced cell separation technology remains a vital strategy for market competitors. For instance, in 2018, Akadeum Life Sciences introduced T cell and B cell micro bubble-based isolation kits, which enable users to carry out the cell separation process in a single tube. With benefits such as cost savings to users, and the elimination of costs associated with magnet and columns, such advanced solutions are expected to drive profitability in the cell separation technology market.
Request a Sample of Cell Separation Technology Market Report @ https://www.transparencymarketresearch.com/sample/sample.php?flag=S&rep_id=1925
Cell Separation Technology Market: Analysis of the Competition
In 2019, Akadeum Life Sciences announced at Immunology 2019, the introduction of its first suite of products based on its microbubble technology. Different from magnetic-based products, microbubbles utilize buoyancy to separate cells of interest within the tube; they are made to simply float to the surface.
In 2018, Cell Microsystems, a provider of innovative scalable solutions and tools for the sorting and isolation of single cells, announced the first commercial sale of its automated AIR System for the sorting, imaging, and isolation of single cells and small colonies.
The global cell separation technology market is characterized by the presence of a limited number of large market players, making the market consolidated in nature. Miltenyi Biotech is a leading player that held ~ 65% of the global market share in 2018, while other players had ~ 35% share. Companies are increasingly trying to enhance their market shares by partnering with governments and forming business conglomerates to offer solutions in respective nations. Productive partnerships among companies to enhance and effectively innovate microfluidics technology are also witnessed. Moreover, the adoption of picodroplet technology for single cell separation and microraft arrays technology is the key trend in the global market, which is influencing the major decisions of leading cell separation technology market players.
Analysts’ Perspective of the Cell Separation Technology Market
TMR analysts have a positive perspective of the cell separation technology market. Rising awareness about various cells separation technologies and immunodiagnostics, and their usage in identifying specific cells is projected to boost the global cell separation market. Analysts believe that, laser capture micro dissection and buoyancy-activated cell sorting, which are important technologies that are incorporated in cell separation products, could further support market growth. The requirement of high initial funding, presence of established players with patented technologies, need for a stronger distribution network, and requirement of skilled labor discourages new players from entering the market. Although North America remains the leading market for cell separation technology, high-growth potential is held by Asia Pacific economies. Governments of Asian countries are investing in the development of healthcare infrastructure for continuous research in stem cell and cancer, so as to develop innovative solutions for patients and healthcare professionals. Moreover, government initiatives to boost the biotechnology industry, and improve technology and processes, are also opening opportunities for competitors. New players could reap the benefits associated with the cell separation technology industry by expanding their portfolios with breakthrough technologies. Concentrating investments in technologies ideal for stem cell research and cancer research could further upscale profitability.
Global Cell Separation Technology Market: Overview
- The global cell separation technology market was valued at ~ US$ 5 Bn in 2018, and is projected to expand at a double digit CAGR from 2019 to 2027.
- Advancements in technology, increase in the geriatric population, surge in investments in research & development, and rise in the patient population suffering from chronic illnesses are fueling the global cell separation technology market.
- Cell separation is the process of removing specific cells from heterogeneous or homogenous subpopulations, and has superior biomedical and clinical application. Cell separation techniques are used to isolate cells with high purity, which aids in the identification and diagnosis of cells.
- Increase in chronic illnesses, availability of various cell separation technologies, rise in the preference for innovative technology with highest purity yield, surge in the awareness about research in stem cells, and increase in initiatives and investments by governments and companies for research in various fields such as neurological, immunological, cancer research are expected to boost the global cell separation technology market.
- Rise in the global geriatric population is likely to increase the number of patients suffering from age-related diseases. The geriatric population is projected to increase by 56% (i.e. nearly 1.4 billion) by 2030. It is anticipated to increase from 901 million in 2030 to 2.1 billion by 2050. These factors are expected to fuel the urge to develop better healthcare treatment, which, in turn, is likely to boost the demand for cell separation technologies.
- Significant improvements and increase in initiatives by governments to provide better healthcare services are projected to create awareness about the benefits of cell separation technologies. Technological advancements are anticipated to lead to development of innovative cell separation tools such as microfluidics and magnetic beads.
Market Segmentation: Global Cell Separation Technology Market
- The global cell separation technology market has been segmented based on technology, application, end user, and region
- In terms of technology, the global cell separation technology market has been classified into immunomagnetic cell separation, fluorescence-activated cell sorting, density gradient centrifugation, microfluidic cell separation, and others.
- The fluorescence-activated cell sorting segment dominated the global cell separation technology market in 2018. It is projected to maintain its dominance during the forecast period. This is because FACS is utilized extensively as a versatile technology, which enables the separation of cells based on surface markets, cell size, cell cycle status. Thus, FACS is extensively employed for the positive selection and separation of cells. It primarily works on two principles: fluidics and optics, which help in the detection of cells.
- In terms of application, the global cell separation technology market has been divided into stem cell research, immunology, neuroscience, cancer research, and others. The stem cell research segment is likely to dominate the market, owing to the rise in research activities in the field of stem cells. Moreover, the predictable benefits of stem cells in the medical industry have flourished research activities. The rising prevalence of cancer incidences across the globe fuels the use of cells separation technologies in order to support research.
- Based on end user, the global cell separation technology market has been classified into biotechnology & pharmaceutical companies, hospitals & diagnostic laboratories, academic & research institutes, and others. The biotechnology & pharmaceutical companies segment dominated the global cell separation technology market in 2018, owing to a surge in investments and frequent usage of cell separation products by companies. Moreover, a rise in the demand for cell-based therapies and medicines is estimated to boost the segment in the cell separation technology market during the forecast period.
Regional Segmentation: Global Cell Separation Technology Market
- In terms of region, the global cell separation technology market has been segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and the Middle East & Africa.
- North America dominated the global cell separation technology market in 2018, due to technological advancements, presence of key players, and awareness about cells separation technologies in the region.
- A well-established research & development industry along with strong funding support from governments in the region are likely to boost the cell separation technology market.
- The cell separation technology market in Asia Pacific is projected to expand at a high CAGR during the forecast period, owing to rising medical tourism, developing healthcare infrastructure, angel investors’ support for research, and rise in investments in healthcare by countries in the region.
Major Players: Global Cell Separation Technology Market
- Key players operating in the global cell separation technology market include
- Akadeum Life Sciences
- STEMCELL Technologies, Inc.
- Bio-Rad Laboratories, Inc.
- Miltenyi Biotech
- 10X Genomics
- Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc.
- GE Healthcare Life Sciences
- PerkinElmer, Inc.
- These players are focused on the launching of innovative products, expansion of distribution networks across regions, and mergers & acquisitions in order to remain competitive in the global cell separation technology market.
This post was originally published on Analytics News