What muscles get the load when doing this exercise. How to do it competently so as not to get injured.
Going to the gym is not just a pleasant pastime. By loading muscles, a person plans to get a result, increase muscle mass, and guarantee a gain in strength. This is real if you wisely form a training program and focus on proven exercises.
Lifting dumbbells and barbells for biceps, working on Scott’s bench are effective exercises, but they only load biceps. Only the triceps remains the forming muscle of the hands. It is he who makes up 2/3 of the muscle volume of the arm. For his training, it is worth including push-ups performed by reverse grip in the program. What are the benefits of exercise? Is stable triceps growth guaranteed? What should be the technique, and what mistakes are most often made?
What are we loading?
Back push-ups – an exercise that works out all three triceps heads – long, medial and lateral. In addition, thoracic, diamond-shaped, deltas, latitudinal and other groups take part of the load.
Due to the multifaceted action, this exercise belongs to the category of basic and is part of the training aimed at gaining mass.
Working out triceps with the help of such non-standard movements has several advantages:
- Push-up push-ups belong to the closed kinetic chain exercise category. This means that during execution, arms (legs) should be fixed. This approach contributes to the isolation of triceps and the connection to the work of all three heads.
- No weight limits. Thanks to the ability to regulate the load, it is possible to progress and achieve a quick increase in triceps.
- Constant load. Unlike other exercises, muscle heads are tense when moving up and down.
- The opportunity to choose. Reverse push-ups have a wide selection of options. Here it is allowed to change the width of the arm, the height of the foot, the presence and removal of additional cargo.
- Breast development. The presence of “dips” during execution guarantees stretching and working out of the pectoral muscles. The deeper you can go down, the better the muscles are stretched.
- The increase in strength. In terms of effectiveness, the reverse push-ups are somewhat similar to the bench press of a dumbbell or a lying bar. That’s why ignoring them is not recommended – they should be in the training program.
- Connection to the work of additional muscle groups. In addition to triceps, such push-ups load stabilizing muscles, which are difficult to “hook” with ordinary movements.
Major errors in execution
Before considering the technique and secrets of the exercise, it is worth highlighting the mistakes that are most often made by athletes:
- Breeding elbows. The greatest difficulty for beginners is fixing the elbows in a position pressed to the body. Make sure that the elbow joint “looked” back, and not on the sides. Otherwise, 30-40% of the load is taken by the deltoid muscles, not triceps. Another “side effect” is the risk of injury (dislocation), which will knock out the training process for a long time.
- Low lowering. Do not think that the effectiveness of the training depends on the depth of lowering. This is not true. Dropping too low increases the risk of disrupting the integrity of the shoulder capsule. In addition, such a danger exists when the training is carried out using additional weight or the oscillation frequency is excessively high.
- Slouch. Do not round your shoulders or roll forward. Keep your chest straight and muscles tense. Failure to comply with the recommendation leads to the fact that the load is transferred to the shoulders, the overload increases, the risk of injury increases.
- The amplitude must be full. Make sure that at the top point the arms are stretched “to the string”. If this is not done, then the effectiveness of the exercise is reduced.
Now consider the correct push-up technique. Here the algorithm is as follows:
- Prepare a pair of benches and set them in parallel. The distance between the benches is individually adjusted taking into account the length of the legs.
- Turn your back to one of the benches, place the brushes on the edge of the bench and throw your feet on the bench parallel to it.
- Set your body to be comfortable. Make sure that your legs are not too far away – they should be located on the edge. This is the starting position.
- As you inhale, begin to lower slowly, gradually bending your arms at the elbow. Get down to the position when the chest feels the maximum stretch (without discomfort). Keep your elbows straight and keep them apart on the sides.
- From the lower position on the exhale, start the ascent using only the strength of the hands to the starting position.
- Do the required number of times (10-12).
Back push-ups are not as simple as they might seem. Failure to comply with the technique leads to a lack of result or even injury.
Secrets and subtleties
To achieve maximum results, the exercise is performed taking into account the following aspects:
- Muscular hypertrophy is achieved through 10-12 repetitions and the use of large weights . That is why it is worth using additional weighting agents.
- Taking a position with the edge, watch your hands. Their position is in close proximity to the hips.
- Keep your back straight and keep it that way throughout the exercise. Make sure that it moves vertically.
- Go down as slowly as possible and actively go up.
- Correct execution – when the case slightly sags between the two supports. This is easy to achieve if you put your legs and hands on the very edges of the benches.
- When using extra weight, you should put it on your hips.
- Try not to fall below the acceptable level (the limit point is the right angle in the elbow joint). Otherwise, the risk of personal injury increases.
- The last 2-3 repetitions are performed to failure.
Myths and Reality
It is believed that push-ups with reverse grip often cause injuries due to excessive load on the shoulders. But is it?
Sinking down while doing the exercise really requires flexibility of the shoulder joint. If not, then lowering leads to a violation of the nerve endings. That’s why at the initial stage it is recommended to comply with the requirement regarding the restriction of the angle to the level of 90 degrees. Otherwise, the risk of injury to the rotator cuff of the shoulder joint increases. To replace a dangerous exercise, training on bars is allowed. In this case, the shoulder experiences less stress and the risk of injury is lower. But here a lot depends on the depth to which the athlete sinks.
An important point is the place where the exercise is performed. The erroneous option is to put it “finishing,” that is, the last. The shoulder joint is already tired during training, and excessive stress depresses it even more. Bottom line – the risk of injury is growing. To eliminate or reduce the danger, you can not go deep down and overload the muscle. In addition, it is worth putting an exercise at the beginning of the session, when the joints are not tired yet.
Backward push-ups – an exercise for triceps, which should be part of the training program. Its advantages are undeniable – ease of implementation, the possibility of use in the gym and at home, efficiency and relative safety while observing the correct technique.
This post was originally published on Analytics News